Directly from the sea...
This is one of those dishes that we called “comfortable”. In the winter, when we’re craving something steaming and rich to eat, Squids and Cannellini Beans is one of those perfect dishes! Served with a bruschetta and some extra virgin olive oil, it is also perfect as main dish. As well as it perfectly matches with red wine, besides the classic white one for fish.
The frozen squid are already cleaned, you only need to cut them into size you prefer. Maybe you can even find them already cut. Otherwise, cleaning a squid is quite simple: first you have to detach head from the body. Then eviscerate the body (making sure to remove the thin cartilage too) if you want to leave it whole. In the photo below, I cut body lengthwise and then removed the guts, because I wanted to cut it into small pieces. Now the head: cut off part where the eyes are, and remove the hard part that is between the tentacles, at the base of the head (the mouth). That’s it!
Tips Squids contains ink, beware not get dirty all the kitchen! Be gentle when you’re cleaning them, especially for the head.
Tips Try to cut the squid into regular pieces for even cooking
Squids and Cannellini Beans
- 1 kg Squids cleaned, cut in pieces
- 300 gr Cannellini Beans cooked
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Concentrated Tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- chilli pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 glass white wine
- salt if needs
- Parsley finely cut
- Toasted Bread
- In a large pan heat oil, garlic and chilli pepper on medium heat. Add squids and cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add wine and leave the alcohol to evaporate. Add Cherry Tomatoes and the concentrated one and half glass of hot water. Cover ( leaving a small opening for the water to evaporate) and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, mix well, add salt if needed (shouldn't be necessary...) and cook for another 10 minutes to let the sauce reduce, and let the ingredients take on flavor.
- Serve with some Parsley on top and toasted bread.