Ribollita is one of the most famous Tuscan “primo piatto”. The origin of this delicious and tasty dish date back to the Middle Age. Like most of the paesant Tuscan dish, Ribollita is made with simple ingredients such as beans, bread and kale. During ancient time the leftover were reboild to create a new soup adding some toasted bread. That is the origin of the name Ribollita, Reboiled.
The typical bean in Tuscany is the “cannellino”, which is a white bean. When cooked it’s very teasty soft and creamy. You can buy it dried, or aldready cooked. The dry one needs be soaked overnight to soften them. Beans in Tuscany are cooked in clay pots on the stovetop or oven. Older recipes used a glass wine flask, buried in the ashes of the fireplace
In Italy we have a large variety of breads, but only in Tuscany you can find the unsalted one!
The bread was, as always, the staple food for everybody, rich and poor people.
Nowadays Tuscan bread has maintained its basic characteristic: it is insipid and unsalted.
Tuscan bread has the same forms of many centuries ago, with a crunchy crust and a compact crumb, crumbly, porous, unsalted, which it join perfectly well our typical salami or ham, tasty food, or The Ribollita!
Tuscan black kale has a deeper color and is slightly thinner and more tender than curly kale, making it more versatile—it cooks more quickly and requires less massaging for use in raw preparations.
This kale has been grown in Tuscany for centuries, and is one of the traditional ingredients for Ribollita.
- 300 gr white Cabbage
- 250 gr black kale
- 300 gr dry white beans or 500 gr already cooked
- 2 carrots
- 2 onion medium
- 1 Tomato
- 1 lt broth
- salt & black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 slices of unsolted bread
- In a large pot, chop onion carrots celery and let it gently cook with evo oil.
- Cut the cabbage and black kale and add them into the pot once the the onion is translucent.
- When the kale will be soft you can transfer the beans (you can add half entire and half passed through food mill).
- Add tomato and broth. Let it cook for at least 1 hour then add rosemary and adjust with salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 30 minmore.Toast the bread and scratch over some garlic! Place it on a bowl and add the soup!!! Enjoy!! Remember to let the Ribollita rest, if you have time...