No-egg "Pasta Carbonara"
Different and Lighter, still Super Tasty!
I’ ve heard of no-egg Pasta carbonara recipe and I’ve always been unbeliever: I live in Rome (I’m Ginny), the home of the Carbonara, and all the variations don’t make much sense. I was wrong! My son Brando had a binge of Pasta Carbonara, the original one, of course. He loves that! He is crazy for that! We’ve had several in the last weeks, especially because a friend of us, who has a farm, he gave us a pork cheek and fresh eggs. So we ate too much! For that, my son Brando has a kind of nausea of eggs… but not for the pork cheek!
T his is the reason this recipe came back to me. I wanted something that was creamy, glossy, luscious and golden yellow like Pasta Carbonara. But without eggs. No-eggs Carbonara recipe it is! Believe me! It is still creamy, shine, golden yellow and above all is yummy (so yummy!). Pecorino Romano cheese and the crispy pork cheek, combined with sweetness of pumpkin, makes this recipe absolutely still one of the queens of the Italian Pasta!
Tips I chose Velvet Pumpkin because it is very creamy and thick. That’s why you always remember to save some pasta cooking water, you may need it!
Looks just like Carbonara!
Pasta with Pumpkin and Pork cheek
- 500 gr Velvet Pumpkin cut in cubes
- 250 gr Pork Cheek cut in thin slices
- Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- hot water
- In a medium-large skillet ( you will need it later to stirring the 400gr of pasta) pour the oil and pumpkin, a pinch of salt, and cook covered on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, until tender.
- Boil water for the pasta.
- Blend pumpkin with the Pecorino cheese, add salt and pepper as taste. If needs add some hot water, to make the sauce more fluid. Keep warm
- Transfer the pork cheek to the same pan and melt the fat over medium-low heat ( we will need it for stirring the pasta). Wait for the Pork cheek to become crispy. Remove and keep warm.
- When water boil add coarse salt and cook the pasta until al-dente. With a strainer transfer the pasta directly in to the skillet with fat and stir well over medium low heat . Add pumpkin, some hot pasta's cooking water (about less than half glass) and stir. Add Pork cheek, stir well and serve immediately with some Pecorino Romano on top.