Let's uproot nettle...but to eat it!
If you, like me, have been uprooting nettles until now, only to throw them into the compost bin, you may be pleased to know that nettles, in addition to having a really good and distinctive flavor, are also good for your body. Anti-inflammatory and very useful in treating rheumatism, arthritis, muscle and joint pain. Of course I knew it was edible and even good, but I had never tried it until this year, that I finally have a garden and a small vegetable garden. And so lots of nettle, too!
Tips Needless to recommend the use of gloves in all steps, from harvesting to washing to putting it in the pot.
An all-green risotto with a special taste!
- Cooking gloves
- 500gr Nettle washed and stripped of the tougher stems
- 320gr Rice Carnaroli, S.Andrea, Ribe, Vialone Nano..
- 1 Leaks Finely sliced
- 40gr Butter
- 1 glass White wine Dry
- 1 LT Vegetable Broth
- Parmigiano Cheese Grated
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare a vegetable stock with your favorite herbs and cook for at least one hour. To reduce the time, use a good stock cube. You will need one lt of broth to cook the risotto, so start with more water because then it will reduce.
- In a large skillet, heat some oil and cook the nettles for a few minutes, until they have wilted as in the photo. Season with salt.
- Blend the nettles and keep them aside.
- In a medium saucepan, and add the onion diced and some oil, sautéing until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add the rice to the pan, and toast it, stirring constantly, for a couple of minutes. Add the white wine, and stir until it has evaporated and the rice is translucent.
- Add one or two ladleful of broth, stirring until all of the liquid has been absorbed. And repeat adding one or two ladleful of the warm broth at a time, stirring constantly to ensure even cooking.
- When the rice is al dente, stir the blended nettle into the risotto. Season with salt, to taste. Remove the pot from the heat, and add the butter and Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir until the ingredients are completely incorporated. Serve the risotto and enjoy!
Did you try this recipe?If you’ve enjoyed it, share it with your friends and update picture on Instagram ecc…